What Is Community Acupuncture?
What Can I Expect From My First Appointment?
What Should I Wear?
How Will The First Appointment Go?
- At your first appointment please bring the completed paperwork, you can download it here.
- If you are not able to download, then arrive 15 minutes early to fill it out.
- Once arriving you will pay for your appointment. The first appointment is $50.
- You will meet privately with an Santa Barbara acupuncturist to discuss your health concerns.
- After discussing your health concerns you will receive an acupuncture treatment where you choose a comfortable recliner, lay back and relax as soothing music plays in the background.
- When you are feeling ‘done’ then just give us a look and we will come and unpin you and get you going with the rest of your day.
- We will give you recommendations on frequency of treatment and any herbal supplements we recommend.
- The first treatment will be about 90 minutes.
- Please eat a light meal before coming in and refrain from heavily caffeinated beverages.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing so we can access from your elbows down and knees down.
- Refrain from heavy scents as many people are chemically sensitive.
- We play soothing music but if you prefer silence please bring ear plugs.
- We provide blankets but you may also bring in your own comforts ie blankets, eye pillow.
There is 90 minute free street parking.
Is Acupuncture Safe
Is Acupuncture Painful
How Does Acupuncture Work?
Acupuncture promotes blood flow. Proper blood flow is crucial to our good health. In our blood is everything the body needs to heal which includes oxygen, immune substances, nutrients we absorb from foods, natural pain killers and anti-inflammatories.
Acupuncture reduces both the intensity and perception of chronic pain. When you are stuck in a cycle of chronic pain research shows that the nerve signals become weak and the brain doesn’t get the message to release endorphins and enkephalins which are natural pain killers. Acupuncture is able to jump the nerve threshold and get the message to the brain to release these wonderful natural pain killers. Pain relief will often happen instantaneously and after several treatments, acupuncture will help re-establish neurological balance where the central and peripheral nervous system will figure it’s better to operate in a non-pain state.
ACUPUNCTURE STIMULATES THE BODY’S BUILT-IN HEALING MECHANISMS.
Acupuncture creates “micro traumas” that stimulate the body’s ability to spontaneously heal injuries to the tissue through nervous, immune and endocrine system activation. As the body heals the micro traumas induced by acupuncture, it also heals any surrounding tissue damage left over from old injuries.
ACUPUNCTURE RELAXES SHORTENED MUSCLES. This in turn releases pressure on joint structures and nerves, and promotes blood flow.
ACUPUNCTURE REDUCES STRESS- Those who get acupuncture describe it as a vacation from stress. Research suggests that acupuncture stimulates the release of oxytocin a powerful hormone that regulates the parasympathetic nervous system. Unlike the sympathetic nervoussystem which is responsible for the “fight-or-flight” response, the parasympathetic is responsible for calming the body. A wide range of autoimmune diseases like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease have been linked to impaired parasympathetic function.
What Can Acupuncture Treat?
PAIN : back pain, neck pain, shoulder & elbow pain, knee pain, wrist pain, ankle pain, post–operative pain, arthritis, tendonitis, bursitis, sprains and strains.
RESPIRATORY: asthma, allergies, common cold, flu, cough, bronchitis, sinusitis, rhinitis.
CIRCULATORY : hypertension, arteriosclerosis, palpitations, chest pain.
DIGESTIVE: indigestion, gastritis, IBS, constipation, diarrhea, colitis, abdominal pain, stomachache, nausea & vomiting, ulcers, acid reflux.
EMOTIONAL: anxiety, depression, stress, insomnia, drug, alcohol and nicotine addiction.
NEUROLOGICAL: headache, migraine, TMJ, Bell’s Palsy, carpal tunnel syndrome, post–stroke syndrome, numbness, tremors.
GYNECOLOGICAL: PMS, menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, palpitations, irritability, mood swings), endometriosis, infertility, painful menstruation, irregular menstruation, low libido
UROGENITAL: bladder infection, frequent urination, incontinence.
OTHER: Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, skin conditions: Eczema, Acne, Edema, weight management, health & wellness maintenance.
Do you accept insurance?
We are not in network however many insurance companies do reimburse for out of network providers. Contact us to verify your benefits and if you have out of network coverage we can take care of the billing. For those that do not have acupuncture coverage we keep our rates affordable so you can get the care you need.
How often do I need to come for treatment?
It depends on the condition we are treating and how long you have had it. For chronic pain conditions I recommend 1-2 times per week until you can experience prolonged periods of no pain.
For hormonal issues I recommend treating 1-2 times per week for several cycles or if you are menopausal until symptoms subside.
For allergy treatments it depends on the severity of the allergies. If the quality of your life is impaired then we will want to treat 2-3 times a week to get your system calmed down.
For fertility patients I recommend 1 time a week for 3-4 menstrual cycles.